The ability to scale dynamically is one of the most important requirements for your PostgreSQL hosting deployment in the cloud, as you want to be able to scale up your deployment with minimal impact.
At ScaleGrid, we allow you to perform a dynamic, in-place scale to scale up your PostgreSQL clusters to meet the needs of your application.
- Login to the ScaleGrid console, and visit your PostgreSQL cluster details page.
- Click on the 'Scale' icon under the 'Overview' tab.
- Select the new size that you want to scale to.
- Review the configuration details of your scale operation directly below, then click the 'Scale' button.
Your PostgreSQL Cluster will now dynamically scale
From that point on, ScaleGrid takes over and provides a dynamic, in-place scale. This is implemented as a rolling operation where we perform the following tasks to scale your deployment:
- Take down one node at a time
- Update the instance type
- Update the disk size
- Update the disk IOPS (if necessary)
- Bring the node back up
- Wait for it to sync up
- Repeat to dynamically scale all nodes
So in this way, as a rolling operation, you can dynamically scale your PostgreSQL deployment online. The only impact on your application is that you will see a failover of the master from one node to another.
As always, if you have any further questions, please contact us at [email protected].
Updated 6 months ago