Ready to upgrade to fully managed MongoDB hosting? Easily migrate your MongoDB deployments to ScaleGrid and we'll take those time-consuming management tasks off your plate so you can get back to product.
Here are the things you'll need to import your MongoDB data to ScaleGrid:
- Your remote server name, port and SSL config.
- Name(s) of databases you wish to import.
- A username, password and authentication DB to access your remote server.
- Your current MongoDB version update to one of the three most recent versions.
- Import into a newly created cluster at ScaleGrid.
- Import during the cluster creation process.
In this tutorial, we're going to show you how to import into an existing, newly created cluster at ScaleGrid. To learn how to import your MongoDB data during the cluster creation process, check out these docs based on your plan:
- New MongoDB Cluster: Shared Hosting
- New MongoDB Cluster: Dedicated Hosting
- New MongoDB Cluster: Bring Your Own Cloud
Before starting your import into your newly created MongoDB cluster at ScaleGrid, verify that there is no data in this cluster so that any existing data isn't overwritten. If you'd like to override your existing data in the import, first create a backup to ensure your existing data is preserved.
- Log into your ScaleGrid account, or start a free 30-day trial.
- Go to your MongoDB dashboard, and select the cluster you'd like to import to.
- Under the Overview tab, click Import Data.
- Stay on the Remote Server tab, and enter your server name and port.
- Select whether you want to import a single database, or all the databases (Admin and local databases will not be imported) from the remote server.
- If you selected to import a single database, enter your Database name and the database which user credentials must be authenticated against (Authentication DB).
- Next, enter the username and password for your remote server. The user must have 'read access' to the databases you are looking to import.
- Check the 'Yes' box if the remote server has SSL enabled.
- Review the information entered is correct, and click 'Import'.
- We will test the connectivity to the remote server once you click Import. If we are able to connect to the remote server, the import job will begin.
Your MongoDB import has now begun!
Your data will be migrated as soon as the import job is complete, and the time will vary based on the size of your data.
While your new MongoDB cluster is being created, check off these important steps to fully complete your setup process:
Here are the steps to connect to MongoDB:
- Go to the MongoDB Cluster Details page of your newly imported cluster.
- Under the Overview tab, find your Credentials and click Show.
- Copy your Connection String.
- Use these details to update your MongoDB connection to your application, and cancel the previous connecting.
After the migration is complete, you'll receive an alert in your ScaleGrid console as well as confirmation to the email associated with your account. Make sure to also confirm the following:
- Data size and details match your imported cluster.
- Your MongoDB cluster is connected to your application.
- Your backup schedule is configured.
Updated almost 3 years ago